Domestic Violence

After the Case

IF the judge signs Restraining Orders, you MUST obey them.

If you don't, you can be arrested.

If you didn't receive a copy of the Orders, ask the court clerk for a copy.

It is very important that you clearly understand what you can and cannot do, if you have been restrained by the court.

  • If you have questions that this web site does not answer, you may want to consult with an attorney who is qualified in these matters.

You may also find more information on the FAQs Page.

The police will get a copy of the Restraining Order.

  • Orders are also sent to CLETS, the statewide registry of all Restraining Orders.

Restraining orders can be enforced in every state, territory, or Indian reservation.

Other parties that are affected by the court order may be given a copy, including:

  • Landlords.
  • Security guards at the protected person's residence or workplace.
  • Visitation supervisors.
  • Schools or childcare providers.
  • Employers.
  • Financial institutions.
  • Counseling agencies.
  • Health care providers or insurance companies.

If you are required to pay child support and you are employed, a wage assignment will most likely be issued. This means that the support will be deducted from your paycheck and paid directly to the other parent by your employer.

  • You will be responsible for directly paying any child support owed from the date that you were ordered to start paying it until the date that the wage assignment takes effect.
  • If you will be making the support payments yourself, send the payments on time. Interest at the legal rate of 10% per year, can be added on until the full amounts are paid.
  • If the support is more than one month overdue, you might lose your driver's license, professional license, or income tax refund.

If you are required to turn in or sell your firearms and ammunition, read an information sheet called "How do I turn in, Sell, or Store my Firearms?"

You can turn in or sell your firearms at:

  • a local law enforcement agency, or
  • a licensed gun dealership.

If you are planning to turn in or sell your guns and ammunition:

  • Take the Proof of Firearms Turned in or Sold form (Form DV-800) with you.
  • Ask the person you turned your guns or firearms and ammunition in to, to fill out portions of the form as appropriate.
  • This form should then be copied and filed with the court.
  • Finally, the form is to be served on the protected person and a "Proof of Service" form needs to be filed with the court, see the Proof of Service forms page.

All Restraining Orders have a time limit

The Restraining Order will stay in effect until the expiration date, or until the protected person requests a change.

  • This date is in a box toward the bottom of the first page of the Restraining Order.
  • You risk legal action or criminal prosecution if you violate the Orders in any way before this date.
  • Only a judge can change or cancel a Restraining Order.

Extension of Restraining Order

If the protected person wants the Restraining Orders to continue past the expiration date, he or she will need to file a request with the court any time in the three months before the restraining order expires.

  • You will be served with a copy of that request. At the hearing you have the chance to explain if you believe there is no longer any need for the Restraining Orders.
  • No new acts or threats of violence are required for the judge to grant the extension beyond the first five-year period.

Other Orders

You can ask the court to change child custody, child visitation, and child support orders if there has been a "substantial change of circumstances" since the last Order was made.

  • For help changing child support, custody and visitation you can visit or contact the Family Law Facilitator in your county.

If the protected person does not ask the court to issue new orders, then these orders will end on the expiration date.

Child custody, visitation, or child support orders continue after the end of the restraining order. They can be changed later.