Handling a court case can be difficult and confusing. Please know that there are people who want to help. Sometimes it takes talking to several people before you can find the right person, so keep asking questions and talking to everyone you can.

Find Contra Costa County Court Locations, Maps and Directions.

Guardianship Hearings:

Guardianship hearings in Contra Costa County, California are held in the:

Wakefield Taylor Courthouse
725 Court Street
Martinez, CA 94553

They are generally held Wednesday and Friday mornings and are open to the public.

  • You may want to call the probate clerk at (925) 957-5761 to confirm the days and times before making the trip to court.

Probate Examiners:
The probate examiners are available Monday through Friday (except court holidays) from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. They are in the Wakefield Taylor Courthouse at 725 Court Street, Room 210, Martinez. Telephone: (925) 957-5781 Fax: (925) 957-5915

Probate Facilitator:
The probate facilitator is a staff attorney who helps members of the public in Guardianship of the Person matters. The Facilitator is available:

  • Online by sending an email to:
  • By phone by calling: (925) 957-5784. (Leave a message and the Facilitator will get back to you.)
  • At workshops given throughout the month. Get information about Guardianship of the Person workshops and clinics in Contra Costa County.

If you are unable to attend the hearing in person, you may arrange to appear by telephone.

Once you have a case number for your proceeding, you can check on its status online by going to

  • Your ruling will not be posted until 3 days before your hearing.
  • You need to click on "Dept. 61," then find your hearing date. Once there, scroll down the cases until you find yours listed.

If you have been appointed as the Legal Guardian:

File your final forms and have your "Letters of Guardianship" issued at the:

Forms Window in Rm. 103
Wakefield Taylor Courthouse
725 Court Street
Martinez, CA 94553

Child Custody and Visitation
Family Court Services provides mediation for child custody and visitation disputes.

Family Law Facilitators
Family law facilitators can give you information about family law cases. They can also help you fill out forms, help you figure out support amounts, and refer you to community agencies that help parents and children.

Free Legal Workshops and Clinics
The Court offers free legal workshops for domestic violence restraining orders, guardianship, elder law and small claims cases.

Probate Facilitator
The Probate Facilitator can answer questions by telephone or email, or in workshops. Get a list of workshops.

Small Claims Legal Advisor
The Small Claims Advisor gives free legal information about small claims cases.

Legal aid gives free legal services to people who are low-income.

Non-profits have other types of support like counseling and resources.

Here are some legal aid and other non-profit groups in Contra Costa County:

Bay Area Legal Aid
BayLegal provides legal information and representation.

Contra Costa County Crisis Center: 211 Data Base
The Crisis Center has 24-hour crisis lines, an information and referral program, and other services.

Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
Senior Legal Services provides free legal services to people who are sixty years of age or older.

Legal Services for Children
Legal Services for Children represents children and youth in many types of cases, including guardianship.

STAND! For Families Free of Violence
STAND! has many domestic violence prevention and treatment programs. can help you find other legal help.

Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) establishes and collects child support.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
The DMV website can help you find the nearest office.

Public libraries have legal self-help books and online resources.

Your County Clerk Recorder Office has copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce records.

Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) has many services, including:

Lawyer Referral Service
For a small fee, you can be referred to a lawyer.

Limited Scope Representation
After discussing your case, you and the lawyer decide which parts of your case you can do yourself and which parts really need to be handled by the lawyer.

Moderate Means Program
If you qualify, you can be referred to an attorney who has agreed to charge a reduced hourly rate.

Resolving Disputes Together
Uses expert staff to help resolve conflicts without legal action.

Congress of Neutrals
Offers many services to help resolve conflicts.

Family Law Alternative Resolution Program (FLARe)
Uses qualified attorneys to listen to both parties, and hopefully resolve their family law dispute.