People who represent themselves must follow the same legal procedures as lawyers to fill out, file and serve court forms, and to prove their case. If you do not have a lawyer there are resources which can help.
- Divorce Manual - A Client Handbook - covers many topics including selecting and working with a lawyer created by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Going to Court Without a Lawyer - a guide for handling uncontested divorces, legal separations and annulments to help you understand the court process and fill out the legal forms you will need.
For some suggestions about where to get other help, go to the California Court's Self-Help Center or check out one of the sites below:
Resources in California
- All Superior Courts in California by County
- State Bar of California's Find an Attorney Web site
- Free and Low-Cost Legal Help
- Where to write for vital records
Resources Across the USA
- Find government services and information by topic
- Find organizations in other states that provide free legal assistance to eligible clients.
Resources Around the Globe
- Find organizations in other countries that provide free legal assistance to eligible clients.