Handling a court case can be difficult and confusing. Please know that there are people who want to help. Sometimes it takes talking to several people before you can find the right person, so keep asking questions and talking to everyone you can. Don't give up!

In Contra Costa County, Traffic Court cases are heard in the County's three (3) court branches (but not in the main courthouse in Martinez!).

Between 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Monday through Friday, you may file your documents at the:

Pittsburg Courthouse
1000 Center Avenue
Pittsburg, CA 94565
(925) 646-4099

Richmond Courthouse
100 - 37th Street
Richmond, CA 94805
(925) 646-4099

Walnut Creek Courthouse
640 Ygnacio Valley Road,
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
(925) 646-4099

Legal aid gives free legal services to people who are low-income.

Non-profits have other types of support like counseling and resources.

Here are some legal aid and other non-profit groups in Contra Costa County:

Bay Area Legal Aid
BayLegal provides legal information and representation.

Contra Costa County Crisis Center: 211 Data Base
The Crisis Center has 24-hour crisis lines, an information and referral program, and other services.

Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
Senior Legal Services provides free legal services to people who are sixty years of age or older.

Legal Services for Children
Legal Services for Children represents children and youth in many types of cases, including guardianship.

STAND! For Families Free of Violence
STAND! has many domestic violence prevention and treatment programs. can help you find other legal help.

Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) establishes and collects child support.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
The DMV website can help you find the nearest office.

Public libraries have legal self-help books and online resources.

Your County Clerk Recorder Office has copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce records.

Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) has many services, including:

Lawyer Referral Service
For a small fee, you can be referred to a lawyer.

Limited Scope Representation
After discussing your case, you and the lawyer decide which parts of your case you can do yourself and which parts really need to be handled by the lawyer.

Moderate Means Program
If you qualify, you can be referred to an attorney who has agreed to charge a reduced hourly rate.

Resolving Disputes Together
Uses expert staff to help resolve conflicts without legal action.

Congress of Neutrals
Offers many services to help resolve conflicts.

Family Law Alternative Resolution Program (FLARe)
Uses qualified attorneys to listen to both parties, and hopefully resolve their family law dispute.

It's important that you understand what is happening to you and get the help you need. For some suggestions about where to get legal and other help, check out one of the sites below: