If You Want to Ask for Spousal or Partner Support

en español>

Court-ordered support may be requested by either of the former spouses of a marriage, or partners of a registered domestic partnership. It may be requested as part of a divorce, legal separation, or annulment, or in a domestic violence prevention case.

This part of the website has information to help you ask for spousal or partner support, whatever your situation.

The section called “Before You Start a Court Case” gives you information to help you decide what you want to do.

The section called “During Your Court Case” gives you information about how to get through the court process, if that’s what you decide to do.

The section called “After Your Court Case” gives you information about paperwork that needs to be done right after you have seen the judge, and what to do later if your situation changes.

Please note:

  • Some words have special meanings when used by the court. If you click on a word that is in blue with this symbol (example default Opens new
    window), a new window will open and it will give you an explanation of what the word means.
  • We also have some videos that may help you understand this information. If you see this link (exampleShow Me | Tell Me”) Opens new window you can click on this link which will take you to a page with video and audio files that you can watch and/or listen to on your computer.
  • Finally, most people have lots of questions about spousal support cases.  For this reason, we have created a list of Frequently Asked Questions, and a section with the forms you will need for your case.
  • To get the information you need, you can click on the section name that is in blue, use the “drop down” menu at the left side of each page, or you can click on the “Next” button at the bottom of some pages.

To view some short videos with general information about how California's court system works, click here. Opens new window


Contra Costa Legal Help Other CA Legal Help



Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.