Step 1: Get Your Court Forms

en español>

A.  If you have been served with papers that ask the court to order support with a "Petition for Divorce or Legal Separation" (form FL-100), you have 30 days to file a “Response” with the court.

NOTE: You may not need all of these forms. Or you may need more forms. If you're not sure which forms to use, talk to your Family Law Facilitator or a lawyer. 

For help in getting low-cost legal aid, click here.

For help finding local court forms you may need, go to your county's court website.

The forms used to respond to a petition for divorce are as follows:

  • Response-Marriage/Domestic Partnership (Form FL-120
NOTE: If you do not file the Response within 30 days, your former spouse or partner may ask the court to consider you in default.

B.  If you have been served with papers that ask the court to order support with a "Request for Order" (form FL-300) and an "Income and Expense Declaration" (form FL-150), you need to file a “Response” and a completed Income and Expense Declaration no later than 9 court working days before the hearing.

The forms used to respond to the Request for Order are:

  • Responsive Declaration to the Request for Order
    (Form FL-320)
  • Income and Expense Declaration (Form FL-150
NOTE: If this financial form has been filed as part of a related court case, simply update it and file it again.

Normally, you will have been served with a blank copy of these forms.  However, if you were not you can get forms at courthouses for a small fee. They may also be found in many libraries or in bookstores, or in the Forms section of this website.

  • For a list of courthouses and their locations in Contra Costa County, click here

To view a short video called “Paperwork Basics” (forms), click here

NOTE: You cannot ask the court to do anything in your response papers. You can only respond to whatever the other spouse or partner has requested. If you want to make a request to the court yourself, you will have to file your own:

REMEMBER: The Office of the Family Law Facilitator can help you with any part of this process if you don’t have an attorney to represent you. For information about the Family Law Facilitator’s Office in the county where you live, click here.

When you have the forms, return here and go on with Step 2: File Your Forms With the Court, click here.



Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.