What if the Person Who Wants to be Paid Support Does Not
Know Where His or Her Former Spouse or Partner Lives?

en español>

Before spousal or partner support case can be ordered, the person asking for payment needs to know where his or her former spouse or partner can be found. Legally, this so that he or she can have court papers properly served. Opens new window

There are many places to gather information about a person’s whereabouts including:

  • Credit reporting agency records

  • Employers – current and previous

  • Law enforcement agencies, and parole and probation offices

  • Military records

  • Social services records

  • State licensing boards

  • Telephone books

  • United States Postal Service

  • Utility companies – current and previous

If the Department of Child Support Services is involved in the case, it can help a child’s parent to find the other parent.

Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.